Wednesday, July 3, 2019

Need for Speed

  Yeah I'm still here.  If things work out right, once or twice per month I get an opportunity between midnight and 5 AM to sift through the archives of the MTV show 120 Minutes/Subterranean in an attempt to find musical gems that I either forgot about or never heard at all. The show ran in one incarnation or another from 1986 to 2013. I've been perusing the playlists chronologically for the past 3 years and I'm only up to May 1997 so far.  I only have a year to get through the final 16 seasons. So  I need to pick up the frequency and pace of my sessions or find a different method altogether, if I'm to complete the mission by next July.
  Anyway 3 weeks ago I was awed by the following song and wondered why I hadn't heard it before.  For that matter why hasn't everyone heard this cast-aside gold-plated diamond of a song?

Rollerskate Skinny - Speed to My Side



   I confess that when I first heard the next song on 102.7 WLBS in 1984, I thought it was Big Country (who like Simple Minds are from Scotland).
Simple Minds - Speed Your Love to Me

                                        

  And finally another Scottish band that produced a song keeping with the speed theme.

Teenage Fanclub - Speed of Light

2 comments:

  1. Nice set.Rollerskate skinny are definitely worth checking out.They only made two albums,both really good.I remember buying two Simple Minds albums.The first one,Real to real cacophony(1979!!)Was a bit early Ultravoxish and the second one Sparkle in the rain had all those poppy 80's hits on it.It was when I had my hair permed and wore jackets with the sleeves pushed up!.I like teenage fan club too.Nice to hear you back.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm expecting a copy of the Rollerskate Skinny cd 'Horsedrawn Wishes to arrive in the next couple of days. It isn't available on itunes, even though their first disc Shoulder Voices is.

    ReplyDelete