Friday, March 27, 2015

Music at Meijer's?


   Everyone is, or at least should be aware of how retailers will pipe in music in an attempt to subliminally spur sales or attract clientele.    Whoever is programming the airwaves at Meijer's in both my new town and in my old neighborhood, is either the biggest Replacements fan ever or an aging rebel without a clue.  In my last three visits to the retailer I've heard the following songs.  

     Three weeks ago I heard 'Achin to Be' from the 1989 album Don't Tell a Soul.



    Today as I perused the dairy aisle 'Merry Go Round', a chart topper on the Modern Rock Chart for four weeks in 1990, came over the speakers.

   During a temporary lull at the Meijer's in my old hood two weeks ago I heard my favorite Replacements song,  'I'll Be You".
   I don't know if this is a coincidence or a ploy to move merchandise.  If it's the latter it's not working on me, because when I get to check out I just tell the cashier 'Those aren't mine, I don't know how that Jack Daniels and cigarettes got in my cart'.

No comments:

Post a Comment