Monday, March 23, 2015

Magic Stick Warm-up Bands


  Often at the Magic Stick the warm-up bands were just as good the headliners.  In June '04 The Stratford 4 stole the show from headliners Beulah.  The song Telephone inspired me to make a mix CD and sneak it into the disc player of my oldest daughter's car on her 22nd birthday.  It featured this song plus Spacemen3, Primal Scream and T Rex, Belle and Sebastian and the Bunnymen. 


    In May of '04 Apples in Stereo came to the Magic Stick and their drummer Hilary Sydney, worked double time as she also played guitar and sang lead for the High Water Marks.   The High Water Marks also feature one of my favorite drummers Jimmy Lindsay.  I talked to him at the merch table and told him his style reminded me of Keith Moon.  I later found an old interview with him online where he was asked which historical figures he would like to have dinner with.  Of course, Keith Moon was one of his choices.
High Watermarks - Good I Feel Bad




     Imaad Wasif's band alaska! was first band on for an Ash/Bravery show in April '05.  Ash had started the tour as headliners but by the time they reached Detroit, the Bravery had a surging single that gave them top-billing and let me call it an early night.
  alaska! - Real Is Your Control

 

1 comment:

  1. The High water Marks sort of (slightly) remind me of a band I knew(yes I actually knew them) in the 80's called The Dolly Mixtures.Been Teen was a song which almost made them famous,and their collaboration with Captain Sensible did,albeit briefly.

    ReplyDelete